One in 3 children in the United States are overweight or obese according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services1. That means obesity affects approximately 12.7 million children and adolescents2. The month of September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, a time to raise awareness about this epidemic and to highlight simple steps parents, teachers, loved ones, communities, and health professionals can take to combat it.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, children with obesity are at a higher risk for3:
- Sleep apnea
- Bone and joint issues
- Type 2 diabetes
They also have more risk factors for3:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
In addition to the emotional toll obesity may take on children due to bullying and social isolation, they are also more likely to have obesity as adults. Adult obesity is associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and many types of cancers3.
So what can we do to prevent obesity in children?
- Be role models. Make healthy choices when it comes to nutrition and fitness. Fill your plates with colorful fruits and vegetables. Stick to a fitness schedule. See your doctor regularly for checkups.
- Get kids involved. Let kids help in the planning and preparation of meals and in workout routines.
- Make creative choices. Prepare snacks and meals that are creative and colorful. Plan fitness routines that involve being in parks or fun recreational areas.
As an agent, talk to your clients about:
- Making small changes, like keeping fresh fruit within reach or going on a family walk after dinner
- Talking with teachers and school administrators about providing healthy food options and daily physical activities for students
- Learning how health professionals are leaders in their communities and how they support programs to prevent childhood obesity
Collaborate with your members on coverage options that support healthy choices. Short-term medical and limited medical coverage options can provide features such as:
- Flexibility in length of coverage and in cost
- Variety of deductible and coinsurance options
- Low copay options
- Ability to cancel without penalty
- Paid benefits similar to traditional major medical plans
- Wellness options
- Next day coverage
- Little to no waiting periods
- Deductibles as low as $250
- Relatively inexpensive premiums
- Guaranteed acceptance
- Unlimited low-cost doctor and specialist copays
- Open network of physicians, specialists, and hospital
Learn more about offering your clients short-term medical and limited medical options today by:
- Calling 1.877.376.5831 and selecting option 3
- Emailing email@example.com
Health Insurance Innovations, Inc. is a leading developer and administrator of affordable, web-based individual health insurance plans and ancillary products. We help consumers address their health insurance needs by offering access to a number of products offered by various insurance carriers.
1: “September: National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month.” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. https://healthfinder.gov/NHO/SeptemberToolkit.aspx
2: “YCMA Offers Health Tips for Childhood Obesity Awareness Month.” Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/glenview/community/chi-ugc-article-ymca-offers-health-tips-for-childhood-obesity-2017-08-30-story.html
3: “September is National Childhood Obesity Month.” Centers for Disease Control. https://www.cdc.gov/features/childhoodobesity/index.html